India is a country located in Southern Asia. There are 6 countries (Bangladesh, Bhutan, China, Myanmar, Nepal, Pakistan) that India shares its borders with. As for languages, the country’s residents speak Hindi and English. Unfortunately, if you speak English, it might be problematic to communicate fluently unless you know Hindi.
In the EF English Competency Index (EF EPI), which assesses the language proficiency of non-native speaking countries, India was ranked 48th out of 100 countries in 2021.
The national currency in India is Indian rupee (INR). The rupee (₹) is subdivided into 100 paisa (p).
With today’s currency rate, 1 EUR is worth 88.7 INR and 1 USD is worth 82.66 INR.
Check with your bank before your trip to find out if there are any fees for using your card abroad. Some banks do not charge fees when you use a foreign ATM or pay in foreign currency, but others may charge a fixed cost for each transaction or allow a limited number of free withdrawals. The travel card provided by Wise.com, Revolut or Monose might be an excellent option to cut down on transaction fees.
Ookla® Speedtest The average fixed internet speed in India is 79.98 Mbps and mobile is 161.15 Mbs.The global average is 159.18 Mbps and 109.61 Mbps respectively.
ATM Density It may be difficult to locate an ATM in India.21.44 ATMs per 100,000 people.The global average is 39.69.
SIM Registration In order to purchase a SIM card in India, a passport or ID is required as identification.
There are 3 socket types used in India. Type C is a popular socket type throughout Europe (except the United Kingdom), Russia, and certain Asian countries. Type D is not very common around the world, so it might be a good idea to check if your electronics need an adapter.
The sockets’ shapes and voltage differ from country to country and a travel plug adapter may be required. Portable devices, such as phones, notebooks or tablets, usually handle the entire range of voltages used across the world (110-240V).
- EF English Proficiency Index (EF Education First)
- Speedtest Global Index® (Ookla®)
- Automated teller machines (ATMs) (per 100,000 adults) (The World Bank Group)
- Registration Policies Per Country (Prepaid Data SIM Card Wiki)
What hotel chains are present in India?
There are Mariott hotels in 9 cities.
The Hilton hotel chain operates in India.
The IHG hotel chain operates in India.
The Best Western hotel chain operates in India.
There are Radisson hotels in 62 cities.
The Accor hotel chain operates in India.
What fast food chains are present in India?
The McDonald’s chain operates in India.
The KFC chain operates in India.
The Burger King chain operates in India.
The Subway chain operates in India.
The Domino’s Pizza chain operates in India.
The Starbucks chain operates in India.
- Country by National Dish (Samson Daniel)
What is the weather like in New Delhi?
Weather data for New Delhi (capital city) by Open-Meteo.com
Railways There are passenger trains operating between some cities.
Subway Systems The subway system is available in 15 cities.
- List of high-speed railway lines (Wikipedia)
- List of metro systems (Wikipedia)
- Left- and right-hand traffic (Wikipedia)
- The Global Enabling Trade Report 2016: Road connectivity (World Economic Forum)
Emergency phones in India
- India Travel Advisory (United States: Department of State)
- Travel Advice for India (United Kingdom: The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office)
- Mortality caused by road traffic injury (The World Bank Group)
- Corruption & Economic Crime (United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime)
Smoking & Alcohol
Smoking ban Inconsistent or only partially enforced smoke-free laws
Cananbis legality Recreational usage: Illegal, but exception is made for the use of bhang.
Medical usage: Legal in certain circumstances
The products are only for your own use or consumption, or as a present for members of your household. They may not be imported for commercial purposes under any circumstances.
- 2L of alcoholic liquor or wines
- 100 cigarettes or 25 cigars or 125g of tobacco
- Guide to Travellers (Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC), Department of Revenue, PDF file)
- List of smoking bans (Wikipedia)
- Legality of cannabis (Wikipedia)