Bhutan is a country located in Southern Asia. There are 2 countries (China, India) that Bhutan shares its borders with. The official language of Bhutan is Dzongkha.
The national currency in Bhutan is Bhutanese ngultrum (BTN). The ngultrum (Nu.) is subdivided into 100 chhertum (Ch.).
With today’s currency rate, 1 EUR is worth 88.96 BTN and 1 USD is worth 82.6 BTN.
Check with your bank before your trip to find out if there are any fees for using your card abroad. Some banks do not charge fees when you use a foreign ATM or pay in foreign currency, but others may charge a fixed cost for each transaction or allow a limited number of free withdrawals. The travel card provided by Wise.com, Revolut or Monose might be an excellent option to cut down on transaction fees.
Ookla® Speedtest The average fixed internet speed in Bhutan is 35.46 Mbps and mobile is Mbs.The global average is 155.63 Mbps and 106.10 Mbps respectively.
ATM Density When compared to the world average, Bhutan has more ATMs.45.21 ATMs per 100,000 people.The global average is 39.69.
SIM Registration In order to purchase a SIM card in Bhutan, a passport or ID is required as identification.
There are 5 socket types used in Bhutan. Type C is a popular socket type throughout Europe (except the United Kingdom), Russia, and certain Asian countries. Type D is not very common around the world, so it might be a good idea to check if your electronics need an adapter.
The sockets’ shapes and voltage differ from country to country and a travel plug adapter may be required. Portable devices, such as phones, notebooks or tablets, usually handle the entire range of voltages used across the world (110-240V).
- EF English Proficiency Index (EF Education First)
- Speedtest Global Index® (Ookla®)
- Automated teller machines (ATMs) (per 100,000 adults) (The World Bank Group)
- Registration Policies Per Country (Prepaid Data SIM Card Wiki)
What hotel chains are present in Bhutan?
There are no Mariott hotels in Bhutan.
There are no Hilton hotels in Bhutan.
The IHG hotel chain operates in Bhutan.
There are no Best Western hotels in Bhutan.
There are no Radisson hotels in Bhutan.
There are no Accor hotels in Bhutan.
What fast food chains are present in Bhutan?
The McDonald’s chain does not operate in Bhutan.
The KFC chain does not operate in Bhutan.
The Burger King chain does not operate in Bhutan.
The Subway chain does not operate in Bhutan.
The Domino’s Pizza chain does not operate in Bhutan.
The Starbucks chain does not operate in Bhutan.
- Country by National Dish (Samson Daniel)
What is the weather like in Thimphu?
Weather data for Thimphu (capital city) by Open-Meteo.com
Railways There are no passenger trains available.
Subway Systems There is no subway system in any city.
Taxi Apps Unfortunately neither Uber nor Bolt are available in Bhutan.
- List of high-speed railway lines (Wikipedia)
- List of metro systems (Wikipedia)
- Left- and right-hand traffic (Wikipedia)
- The Global Enabling Trade Report 2016: Road connectivity (World Economic Forum)
Emergency phones in Bhutan
- Bhutan Travel Advisory (United States: Department of State)
- Travel Advice for Bhutan (United Kingdom: The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office)
- Mortality caused by road traffic injury (The World Bank Group)
- Corruption & Economic Crime (United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime)
Smoking & Alcohol
Smoking ban Smoking is forbidden in all public indoor locations, with limited exceptions.
Cananbis legality Both recreational and medicinal use of cannabis is prohibited.
- List of smoking bans (Wikipedia)
- Legality of cannabis (Wikipedia)