Azerbaijan is a country located in Western Asia. There are 5 countries (Armenia, Georgia, Iran, Russian Federation, Turkey) that Azerbaijan shares its borders with. The official language of Azerbaijan is Azerbaijani. Traveling across Azerbaijan if English is your first (and only) language may be difficult due to language barriers.
In the EF English Competency Index (EF EPI), which assesses the language proficiency of non-native speaking countries, Azerbaijan was ranked 86th out of 100 countries in 2021.
The national currency in Azerbaijan is Azerbaijani manat (AZN). The manat (ман) is subdivided into 100 qepik (qr).
With today’s currency rate, 1 EUR is worth 1.83 AZN and 1 USD is worth 1.7 AZN.
Check with your bank before your trip to find out if there are any fees for using your card abroad. Some banks do not charge fees when you use a foreign ATM or pay in foreign currency, but others may charge a fixed cost for each transaction or allow a limited number of free withdrawals. The travel card provided by Wise.com, Revolut or Monose might be an excellent option to cut down on transaction fees.
Ookla® Speedtest The average fixed internet speed in Azerbaijan is 37.61 Mbps and mobile is 54.7 Mbs.The global average is 159.18 Mbps and 109.61 Mbps respectively.
ATM Density The number of ATMs per person in Azerbaijan is close to the world average.37.43 ATMs per 100,000 people.The global average is 39.69.
SIM Registration In order to purchase a SIM card in Azerbaijan, a passport or ID is required as identification.
There are 2 socket types used in Azerbaijan. Type C is a popular socket type throughout Europe (except the United Kingdom), Russia, and certain Asian countries.
The sockets’ shapes and voltage differ from country to country and a travel plug adapter may be required. Portable devices, such as phones, notebooks or tablets, usually handle the entire range of voltages used across the world (110-240V).
- EF English Proficiency Index (EF Education First)
- Speedtest Global Index® (Ookla®)
- Automated teller machines (ATMs) (per 100,000 adults) (The World Bank Group)
- Registration Policies Per Country (Prepaid Data SIM Card Wiki)
What hotel chains are present in Azerbaijan?
There are Mariott hotels in Baku.
The Hilton hotel chain operates in Azerbaijan.
The IHG hotel chain operates in Azerbaijan.
There are no Best Western hotels in Azerbaijan.
There are Radisson hotels in Baku.
The Accor hotel chain operates in Azerbaijan.
What fast food chains are present in Azerbaijan?
The McDonald’s chain operates in Azerbaijan.
The KFC chain operates in Azerbaijan.
The Burger King chain does not operate in Azerbaijan.
The Subway chain does not operate in Azerbaijan.
The Domino’s Pizza chain operates in Azerbaijan.
The Starbucks chain operates in Azerbaijan.
- Country by National Dish (Samson Daniel)
What is the weather like in Baku?
Weather data for Baku (capital city) by Open-Meteo.com
Railways There are passenger trains operating between some cities.
Subway Systems The subway system is available in Baku.
- List of high-speed railway lines (Wikipedia)
- List of metro systems (Wikipedia)
- Left- and right-hand traffic (Wikipedia)
- The Global Enabling Trade Report 2016: Road connectivity (World Economic Forum)
Emergency phones in Azerbaijan
- Azerbaijan Travel Advisory (United States: Department of State)
- Travel Advice for Azerbaijan (United Kingdom: The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office)
- Mortality caused by road traffic injury (The World Bank Group)
- Corruption & Economic Crime (United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime)
Smoking & Alcohol
Smoking ban Smoking is prohibited in all public areas excluding entertainment and restaurants.
Cananbis legality Both recreational and medicinal use of cannabis is prohibited.
- List of smoking bans (Wikipedia)
- Legality of cannabis (Wikipedia)