Afghanistan is a country located in Southern Asia. There are 6 countries (China, Iran, Pakistan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan) that Afghanistan shares its borders with. As for languages, the country’s residents speak Pashto, Uzbek and Turkmen. Traveling across Afghanistan if English is your first (and only) language may be difficult due to language barriers.
In the EF English Competency Index (EF EPI), which assesses the language proficiency of non-native speaking countries, Afghanistan was ranked 87th out of 100 countries in 2021.
The national currency in Afghanistan is Afghan afghani (AFN). The afghani (؋) is subdivided into 100 pul.
With today’s currency rate, 1 EUR is worth 93.96 AFN and 1 USD is worth 87.56 AFN.
Check with your bank before your trip to find out if there are any fees for using your card abroad. Some banks do not charge fees when you use a foreign ATM or pay in foreign currency, but others may charge a fixed cost for each transaction or allow a limited number of free withdrawals. The travel card provided by Wise.com, Revolut or Monose might be an excellent option to cut down on transaction fees.
Ookla® Speedtest The average fixed internet speed in Afghanistan is 9.32 Mbps and mobile is 7.01 Mbs.The global average is 159.18 Mbps and 109.61 Mbps respectively.
ATM Density It may be difficult to locate an ATM in Afghanistan.1.64 ATMs per 100,000 people.The global average is 39.69.
SIM Registration No data available.
There are 2 socket types used in Afghanistan. Type C is a popular socket type throughout Europe (except the United Kingdom), Russia, and certain Asian countries.
The sockets’ shapes and voltage differ from country to country and a travel plug adapter may be required. Portable devices, such as phones, notebooks or tablets, usually handle the entire range of voltages used across the world (110-240V).
- EF English Proficiency Index (EF Education First)
- Speedtest Global Index® (Ookla®)
- Automated teller machines (ATMs) (per 100,000 adults) (The World Bank Group)
- Registration Policies Per Country (Prepaid Data SIM Card Wiki)
What hotel chains are present in Afghanistan?
There are no Mariott hotels in Afghanistan.
There are no Hilton hotels in Afghanistan.
There are no IHG hotels in Afghanistan.
There are no Best Western hotels in Afghanistan.
There are no Radisson hotels in Afghanistan.
There are no Accor hotels in Afghanistan.
What fast food chains are present in Afghanistan?
The McDonald’s chain does not operate in Afghanistan.
The KFC chain does not operate in Afghanistan.
The Burger King chain does not operate in Afghanistan.
The Subway chain does not operate in Afghanistan.
The Domino’s Pizza chain does not operate in Afghanistan.
The Starbucks chain does not operate in Afghanistan.
- Country by National Dish (Samson Daniel)
What is the weather like in Kabul?
Weather data for Kabul (capital city) by Open-Meteo.com
Railways There are no passenger trains available.
Subway Systems There is no subway system in any city.
Taxi Apps Unfortunately neither Uber nor Bolt are available in Afghanistan.
- List of high-speed railway lines (Wikipedia)
- List of metro systems (Wikipedia)
- Left- and right-hand traffic (Wikipedia)
- The Global Enabling Trade Report 2016: Road connectivity (World Economic Forum)
Emergency phones in Afghanistan
- Afghanistan Travel Advisory (United States: Department of State)
- Travel Advice for Afghanistan (United Kingdom: The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office)
- Mortality caused by road traffic injury (The World Bank Group)
- Corruption & Economic Crime (United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime)
Smoking & Alcohol
Smoking ban Smoking is forbidden in all public indoor locations, with limited exceptions.
Cananbis legality Both recreational and medicinal use of cannabis is prohibited.
- List of smoking bans (Wikipedia)
- Legality of cannabis (Wikipedia)