Zambia is a country located in Eastern Africa. There are 8 countries (Angola, Botswana, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Tanzania, Zimbabwe) that Zambia shares its borders with.
English is an official language in Zambia. It means that if you speak it, you would be able to communicate with almost everyone. If not, it is highly recommended that you acquire some basic English before traveling to Zambia.
The national currency in Zambia is Zambian kwacha (ZMW). The kwacha (ZMK) is subdivided into 100 ngwee.
With today’s currency rate, 1 EUR is worth 20.78 ZMW and 1 USD is worth 19.37 ZMW.
2 kwacha5 kwacha10 kwacha20 kwacha50 kwacha100 kwacha
5 ngwee10 ngwee50 ngwee1 kwacha
Check with your bank before your trip to find out if there are any fees for using your card abroad. Some banks do not charge fees when you use a foreign ATM or pay in foreign currency, but others may charge a fixed cost for each transaction or allow a limited number of free withdrawals. The travel card provided by Wise.com, Revolut or Monose might be an excellent option to cut down on transaction fees.
Ookla® Speedtest The average fixed internet speed in Zambia is 17.99 Mbps and mobile is 33.16 Mbs.The global average is 159.18 Mbps and 109.61 Mbps respectively.
ATM Density It may be difficult to locate an ATM in Zambia.8.81 ATMs per 100,000 people.The global average is 39.69.
SIM Registration In order to purchase a SIM card in Zambia, a passport or ID is required as identification.
There are 3 socket types used in Zambia. Type C is a popular socket type throughout Europe (except the United Kingdom), Russia, and certain Asian countries. Type D is not very common around the world, so it might be a good idea to check if your electronics need an adapter.
The sockets’ shapes and voltage differ from country to country and a travel plug adapter may be required. Portable devices, such as phones, notebooks or tablets, usually handle the entire range of voltages used across the world (110-240V).
- EF English Proficiency Index (EF Education First)
- Speedtest Global Index® (Ookla®)
- Automated teller machines (ATMs) (per 100,000 adults) (The World Bank Group)
- Registration Policies Per Country (Prepaid Data SIM Card Wiki)
What hotel chains are present in Zambia?
There are no Mariott hotels in Zambia.
The Hilton hotel chain operates in Zambia.
The IHG hotel chain operates in Zambia.
The Best Western hotel chain operates in Zambia.
There are Radisson hotels in Lusaka.
There are no Accor hotels in Zambia.
What fast food chains are present in Zambia?
The McDonald’s chain does not operate in Zambia.
The KFC chain operates in Zambia.
The Burger King chain does not operate in Zambia.
The Subway chain does not operate in Zambia.
The Domino’s Pizza chain does not operate in Zambia.
The Starbucks chain does not operate in Zambia.
- Country by National Dish (Samson Daniel)
What is the weather like in Lusaka?
Weather data for Lusaka (capital city) by Open-Meteo.com
Railways There are passenger trains operating between some cities.
Subway Systems There is no subway system in any city.
- List of high-speed railway lines (Wikipedia)
- List of metro systems (Wikipedia)
- Left- and right-hand traffic (Wikipedia)
- The Global Enabling Trade Report 2016: Road connectivity (World Economic Forum)
Emergency phones in Zambia
- Zambia Travel Advisory (United States: Department of State)
- Travel Advice for Zambia (United Kingdom: The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office)
- Mortality caused by road traffic injury (The World Bank Group)
- Corruption & Economic Crime (United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime)
Smoking & Alcohol
Smoking ban Smoking is forbidden in all public indoor locations, with limited exceptions.
Cananbis legality Recreational usage is prohibited, but medical use is legal.
- List of smoking bans (Wikipedia)
- Legality of cannabis (Wikipedia)