Botswana is a country located in Southern Africa. There are 4 countries (Namibia, South Africa, Zambia, Zimbabwe) that Botswana shares its borders with. As for languages, the country’s residents speak English and Tswana.
The national currency in Botswana is Botswana pula (BWP). The pula (P) is subdivided into 100 thebe (t).
With today’s currency rate, 1 EUR is worth 14.78 BWP and 1 USD is worth 13.77 BWP.
Check with your bank before your trip to find out if there are any fees for using your card abroad. Some banks do not charge fees when you use a foreign ATM or pay in foreign currency, but others may charge a fixed cost for each transaction or allow a limited number of free withdrawals. The travel card provided by Wise.com, Revolut or Monose might be an excellent option to cut down on transaction fees.
Ookla® Speedtest The average fixed internet speed in Botswana is 15.51 Mbps and mobile is Mbs.The global average is 159.18 Mbps and 109.61 Mbps respectively.
ATM Density The number of ATMs per person in Botswana is close to the world average.36.31 ATMs per 100,000 people.The global average is 39.69.
SIM Registration In order to purchase a SIM card in Botswana, a passport or ID is required as identification.
There are 3 socket types used in Botswana. Type D is not very common around the world, so it might be a good idea to check if your electronics need an adapter.
The sockets’ shapes and voltage differ from country to country and a travel plug adapter may be required. Portable devices, such as phones, notebooks or tablets, usually handle the entire range of voltages used across the world (110-240V).
In the year 2023, Botswana will celebrate 11 national public holidays. The next one Sir Seretse Khama Day will take place on July 1.
|January 1, 2023||New Year’s DayNew Year’s Day|
|April 7, 2023Moving holiday||Good FridayGood Friday|
|April 10, 2023Moving holiday||Easter MondayEaster Monday|
|May 1, 2023||Labour DayLabour Day|
|May 18, 2023Moving holiday||Ascension DayAscension Day|
|July 1, 2023||Sir Seretse Khama DaySir Seretse Khama Day|
|July 17, 2023Moving holiday||Presidents’ DayPresidents’ Day|
|September 30, 2023||Independence DayIndependence Day|
|October 1, 2023||Botswana Day holidayBotswana Day holiday|
|December 25, 2023||Christmas DayChristmas Day|
|December 26, 2023||St. Stephen’s DayBoxing Day|
- EF English Proficiency Index (EF Education First)
- Speedtest Global Index® (Ookla®)
- Automated teller machines (ATMs) (per 100,000 adults) (The World Bank Group)
- Registration Policies Per Country (Prepaid Data SIM Card Wiki)
What hotel chains are present in Botswana?
There are no Mariott hotels in Botswana.
The Hilton hotel chain operates in Botswana.
There are no IHG hotels in Botswana.
There are no Best Western hotels in Botswana.
There are no Radisson hotels in Botswana.
The Accor hotel chain operates in Botswana.
What fast food chains are present in Botswana?
The McDonald’s chain does not operate in Botswana.
The KFC chain operates in Botswana.
The Burger King chain does not operate in Botswana.
The Subway chain does not operate in Botswana.
The Domino’s Pizza chain does not operate in Botswana.
The Starbucks chain does not operate in Botswana.
- Country by National Dish (Samson Daniel)
What is the weather like in Gaborone?
Weather data for Gaborone (capital city) by Open-Meteo.com
Railways There are passenger trains operating between some cities.
Subway Systems There is no subway system in any city.
Taxi Apps Unfortunately neither Uber nor Bolt are available in Botswana.
- List of high-speed railway lines (Wikipedia)
- List of metro systems (Wikipedia)
- Left- and right-hand traffic (Wikipedia)
- The Global Enabling Trade Report 2016: Road connectivity (World Economic Forum)
Emergency phones in Botswana
- Botswana Travel Advisory (United States: Department of State)
- Travel Advice for Botswana (United Kingdom: The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office)
- Mortality caused by road traffic injury (The World Bank Group)
- Corruption & Economic Crime (United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime)
Smoking & Alcohol
Smoking ban Inconsistent or only partially enforced smoke-free laws
Cananbis legality Both recreational and medicinal use of cannabis is prohibited.
The products are only for your own use or consumption, or as a present for members of your household. They may not be imported for commercial purposes under any circumstances.
- 2L of wine or
- 1L of spirituous & all other alcoholic beverages
- 200 cigarettes or
- 20 cigars or
- 250 grams of tobacco
- Duty Free Allowances (Botswana Tourism Organisation)
- List of smoking bans (Wikipedia)
- Legality of cannabis (Wikipedia)