Malawi is a country located in Eastern Africa. There are 3 countries (Mozambique, Tanzania, Zambia) that Malawi shares its borders with. As for languages, the country’s residents speak English and Chichewa.
The national currency in Malawi is Malawian kwacha (MWK). The kwacha (MK) is subdivided into 100 tambala.
With today’s currency rate, 1 EUR is worth 1101.05 MWK and 1 USD is worth 1026.06 MWK.
Check with your bank before your trip to find out if there are any fees for using your card abroad. Some banks do not charge fees when you use a foreign ATM or pay in foreign currency, but others may charge a fixed cost for each transaction or allow a limited number of free withdrawals. The travel card provided by Wise.com, Revolut or Monose might be an excellent option to cut down on transaction fees.
Ookla® Speedtest The average fixed internet speed in Malawi is 24.82 Mbps and mobile is Mbs.The global average is 159.18 Mbps and 109.61 Mbps respectively.
ATM Density It may be difficult to locate an ATM in Malawi.4.41 ATMs per 100,000 people.The global average is 39.69.
SIM Registration In order to purchase a SIM card in Malawi, a passport or ID is required as identification.
There is one common socket type used in Malawi. Type G is not very common around the world, so it might be a good idea to check if your electronics need an adapter.
The sockets’ shapes and voltage differ from country to country and a travel plug adapter may be required. Portable devices, such as phones, notebooks or tablets, usually handle the entire range of voltages used across the world (110-240V).
- EF English Proficiency Index (EF Education First)
- Speedtest Global Index® (Ookla®)
- Automated teller machines (ATMs) (per 100,000 adults) (The World Bank Group)
- Registration Policies Per Country (Prepaid Data SIM Card Wiki)
What hotel chains are present in Malawi?
There are no Mariott hotels in Malawi.
There are no Hilton hotels in Malawi.
There are no IHG hotels in Malawi.
There are no Best Western hotels in Malawi.
There are no Radisson hotels in Malawi.
There are no Accor hotels in Malawi.
What fast food chains are present in Malawi?
The McDonald’s chain does not operate in Malawi.
The KFC chain operates in Malawi.
The Burger King chain does not operate in Malawi.
The Subway chain does not operate in Malawi.
The Domino’s Pizza chain does not operate in Malawi.
The Starbucks chain does not operate in Malawi.
- Country by National Dish (Samson Daniel)
What is the weather like in Lilongwe?
Weather data for Lilongwe (capital city) by Open-Meteo.com
Railways There are passenger trains operating between some cities.
Subway Systems There is no subway system in any city.
Taxi Apps Unfortunately neither Uber nor Bolt are available in Malawi.
- List of high-speed railway lines (Wikipedia)
- List of metro systems (Wikipedia)
- Left- and right-hand traffic (Wikipedia)
- The Global Enabling Trade Report 2016: Road connectivity (World Economic Forum)
Emergency phones in Malawi
- Malawi Travel Advisory (United States: Department of State)
- Travel Advice for Malawi (United Kingdom: The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office)
- Mortality caused by road traffic injury (The World Bank Group)
- Corruption & Economic Crime (United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime)
Smoking & Alcohol
Smoking ban No known rules against smoking, or no information is available.
Cananbis legality Recreational usage is prohibited, but medical use is legal.
- List of smoking bans (Wikipedia)
- Legality of cannabis (Wikipedia)