Rwanda is a country located in Eastern Africa. There are 4 countries (Burundi, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Tanzania, Uganda) that Rwanda shares its borders with. As for languages, the country’s residents speak Rwandi, English and French. Traveling across Rwanda if English is your first (and only) language may be difficult due to language barriers.
In the EF English Competency Index (EF EPI), which assesses the language proficiency of non-native speaking countries, Rwanda was ranked 109th out of 100 countries in 2021.
The national currency in Rwanda is Rwandan franc (RWF). The franc (FRw, RF, R₣) is subdivided into 100 centime.
With today’s currency rate, 1 EUR is worth 1208.61 RWF and 1 USD is worth 1126.29 RWF.
Check with your bank before your trip to find out if there are any fees for using your card abroad. Some banks do not charge fees when you use a foreign ATM or pay in foreign currency, but others may charge a fixed cost for each transaction or allow a limited number of free withdrawals. The travel card provided by Wise.com, Revolut or Monose might be an excellent option to cut down on transaction fees.
Ookla® Speedtest The average fixed internet speed in Rwanda is 45.93 Mbps and mobile is Mbs.The global average is 159.18 Mbps and 109.61 Mbps respectively.
ATM Density It may be difficult to locate an ATM in Rwanda.4.18 ATMs per 100,000 people.The global average is 39.69.
SIM Registration In order to purchase a SIM card in Rwanda, a passport or ID is required as identification.
There are 2 socket types used in Rwanda. Type C is a popular socket type throughout Europe (except the United Kingdom), Russia, and certain Asian countries.
The sockets’ shapes and voltage differ from country to country and a travel plug adapter may be required. Portable devices, such as phones, notebooks or tablets, usually handle the entire range of voltages used across the world (110-240V).
- EF English Proficiency Index (EF Education First)
- Speedtest Global Index® (Ookla®)
- Automated teller machines (ATMs) (per 100,000 adults) (The World Bank Group)
- Registration Policies Per Country (Prepaid Data SIM Card Wiki)
What hotel chains are present in Rwanda?
There are Mariott hotels in Kigali.
There are no Hilton hotels in Rwanda.
There are no IHG hotels in Rwanda.
There are no Best Western hotels in Rwanda.
There are Radisson hotels in Kigali.
The Accor hotel chain operates in Rwanda.
What fast food chains are present in Rwanda?
The McDonald’s chain does not operate in Rwanda.
The KFC chain operates in Rwanda.
The Burger King chain does not operate in Rwanda.
The Subway chain does not operate in Rwanda.
The Domino’s Pizza chain does not operate in Rwanda.
The Starbucks chain does not operate in Rwanda.
- Country by National Dish (Samson Daniel)
What is the weather like in Kigali?
Weather data for Kigali (capital city) by Open-Meteo.com
Railways There are no passenger trains available.
Subway Systems There is no subway system in any city.
Taxi Apps Unfortunately neither Uber nor Bolt are available in Rwanda.
- List of high-speed railway lines (Wikipedia)
- List of metro systems (Wikipedia)
- Left- and right-hand traffic (Wikipedia)
- The Global Enabling Trade Report 2016: Road connectivity (World Economic Forum)
Emergency phones in Rwanda
- Rwanda Travel Advisory (United States: Department of State)
- Travel Advice for Rwanda (United Kingdom: The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office)
- Mortality caused by road traffic injury (The World Bank Group)
- Corruption & Economic Crime (United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime)
Smoking & Alcohol
Smoking ban Smoking is forbidden in all public indoor locations, with limited exceptions.
Cananbis legality Recreational usage is prohibited, but medical use is legal.
- List of smoking bans (Wikipedia)
- Legality of cannabis (Wikipedia)