Ethiopia is a country located in Eastern Africa. There are 6 countries (Djibouti, Eritrea, Kenya, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan) that Ethiopia shares its borders with. The official language of Ethiopia is Amharic. Traveling across Ethiopia if English is your first (and only) language may be difficult due to language barriers.
In the EF English Competency Index (EF EPI), which assesses the language proficiency of non-native speaking countries, Ethiopia was ranked 63rd out of 100 countries in 2021.
The national currency in Ethiopia is Ethiopian birr (ETB). The birr (Br) is subdivided into 100 santim.
With today’s currency rate, 1 EUR is worth 58.57 ETB and 1 USD is worth 54.58 ETB.
Check with your bank before your trip to find out if there are any fees for using your card abroad. Some banks do not charge fees when you use a foreign ATM or pay in foreign currency, but others may charge a fixed cost for each transaction or allow a limited number of free withdrawals. The travel card provided by Wise.com, Revolut or Monose might be an excellent option to cut down on transaction fees.
Ookla® Speedtest The average fixed internet speed in Ethiopia is 29.58 Mbps and mobile is 31.87 Mbs.The global average is 159.18 Mbps and 109.61 Mbps respectively.
ATM Density It may be difficult to locate an ATM in Ethiopia.0.46 ATMs per 100,000 people.The global average is 39.69.
SIM Registration In order to purchase a SIM card in Ethiopia, a passport or ID is required as identification.
There are 4 socket types used in Ethiopia. Type C is a popular socket type throughout Europe (except the United Kingdom), Russia, and certain Asian countries. Type L is not very common around the world, so it might be a good idea to check if your electronics need an adapter.
The sockets’ shapes and voltage differ from country to country and a travel plug adapter may be required. Portable devices, such as phones, notebooks or tablets, usually handle the entire range of voltages used across the world (110-240V).
- EF English Proficiency Index (EF Education First)
- Speedtest Global Index® (Ookla®)
- Automated teller machines (ATMs) (per 100,000 adults) (The World Bank Group)
- Registration Policies Per Country (Prepaid Data SIM Card Wiki)
What hotel chains are present in Ethiopia?
There are no Mariott hotels in Ethiopia.
The Hilton hotel chain operates in Ethiopia.
There are no IHG hotels in Ethiopia.
The Best Western hotel chain operates in Ethiopia.
There are Radisson hotels in Addis Ababa.
There are no Accor hotels in Ethiopia.
What fast food chains are present in Ethiopia?
The McDonald’s chain does not operate in Ethiopia.
The KFC chain does not operate in Ethiopia.
The Burger King chain does not operate in Ethiopia.
The Subway chain does not operate in Ethiopia.
The Domino’s Pizza chain does not operate in Ethiopia.
The Starbucks chain does not operate in Ethiopia.
- Country by National Dish (Samson Daniel)
What is the weather like in Addis Ababa?
Weather data for Addis Ababa (capital city) by Open-Meteo.com
Railways There are no passenger trains available.
Subway Systems There is no subway system in any city.
Taxi Apps Unfortunately neither Uber nor Bolt are available in Ethiopia.
- List of high-speed railway lines (Wikipedia)
- List of metro systems (Wikipedia)
- Left- and right-hand traffic (Wikipedia)
- The Global Enabling Trade Report 2016: Road connectivity (World Economic Forum)
Emergency phones in Ethiopia
- Ethiopia Travel Advisory (United States: Department of State)
- Travel Advice for Ethiopia (United Kingdom: The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office)
- Mortality caused by road traffic injury (The World Bank Group)
- Corruption & Economic Crime (United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime)
Smoking & Alcohol
Smoking ban Smoking is prohibited in all public areas excluding entertainment and restaurants.
Cananbis legality Both recreational and medicinal use of cannabis is prohibited.
- List of smoking bans (Wikipedia)
- Legality of cannabis (Wikipedia)