Iraq is a country located in Western Asia. There are 6 countries (Iran, Jordan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Turkey) that Iraq shares its borders with. As for languages, the country’s residents speak Arabic and Kurdish. Traveling across Iraq if English is your first (and only) language may be difficult due to language barriers.
In the EF English Competency Index (EF EPI), which assesses the language proficiency of non-native speaking countries, Iraq was ranked 107th out of 100 countries in 2021.
The national currency in Iraq is Iraqi dinar (IQD). The dinar (ع.د) is subdivided into 1000 fils.
With today’s currency rate, 1 EUR is worth 1405.33 IQD and 1 USD is worth 1309.62 IQD.
Check with your bank before your trip to find out if there are any fees for using your card abroad. Some banks do not charge fees when you use a foreign ATM or pay in foreign currency, but others may charge a fixed cost for each transaction or allow a limited number of free withdrawals. The travel card provided by Wise.com, Revolut or Monose might be an excellent option to cut down on transaction fees.
Ookla® Speedtest The average fixed internet speed in Iraq is 44.48 Mbps and mobile is 43.83 Mbs.The global average is 159.18 Mbps and 109.61 Mbps respectively.
ATM Density It may be difficult to locate an ATM in Iraq.6.07 ATMs per 100,000 people.The global average is 39.69.
SIM Registration No data available.
There are 3 socket types used in Iraq. Type C is a popular socket type throughout Europe (except the United Kingdom), Russia, and certain Asian countries. Type D is not very common around the world, so it might be a good idea to check if your electronics need an adapter.
The sockets’ shapes and voltage differ from country to country and a travel plug adapter may be required. Portable devices, such as phones, notebooks or tablets, usually handle the entire range of voltages used across the world (110-240V).
- EF English Proficiency Index (EF Education First)
- Speedtest Global Index® (Ookla®)
- Automated teller machines (ATMs) (per 100,000 adults) (The World Bank Group)
- Registration Policies Per Country (Prepaid Data SIM Card Wiki)
What hotel chains are present in Iraq?
There are no Mariott hotels in Iraq.
There are no Hilton hotels in Iraq.
There are no IHG hotels in Iraq.
There are no Best Western hotels in Iraq.
There are no Radisson hotels in Iraq.
There are no Accor hotels in Iraq.
What fast food chains are present in Iraq?
The McDonald’s chain does not operate in Iraq.
The KFC chain operates in Iraq.
The Burger King chain does not operate in Iraq.
The Subway chain operates in Iraq.
The Domino’s Pizza chain does not operate in Iraq.
The Starbucks chain does not operate in Iraq.
- Country by National Dish (Samson Daniel)
What is the weather like in Baghdad?
Weather data for Baghdad (capital city) by Open-Meteo.com
Railways There are passenger trains operating between some cities.
Subway Systems There is no subway system in any city.
- List of high-speed railway lines (Wikipedia)
- List of metro systems (Wikipedia)
- Left- and right-hand traffic (Wikipedia)
- The Global Enabling Trade Report 2016: Road connectivity (World Economic Forum)
Emergency phones in Iraq
- Iraq Travel Advisory (United States: Department of State)
- Travel Advice for Iraq (United Kingdom: The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office)
- Mortality caused by road traffic injury (The World Bank Group)
- Corruption & Economic Crime (United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime)
Smoking & Alcohol
Smoking ban Smoking is forbidden in all public indoor locations, with limited exceptions.
Cananbis legality Both recreational and medicinal use of cannabis is prohibited.
- List of smoking bans (Wikipedia)
- Legality of cannabis (Wikipedia)