Tunisia is a country located in Northern Africa. There are 2 countries (Algeria, Libya) that Tunisia shares its borders with. The official language of Tunisia is Arabic. Unfortunately, if you speak English, it might be problematic to communicate fluently unless you know Arabic.
In the EF English Competency Index (EF EPI), which assesses the language proficiency of non-native speaking countries, Tunisia was ranked 52nd out of 100 countries in 2021.
The national currency in Tunisia is Tunisian dinar (TND). The dinar is subdivided into 1000 milim or millime (ت.د).
With today’s currency rate, 1 EUR is worth 3.31 TND and 1 USD is worth 3.09 TND.
Check with your bank before your trip to find out if there are any fees for using your card abroad. Some banks do not charge fees when you use a foreign ATM or pay in foreign currency, but others may charge a fixed cost for each transaction or allow a limited number of free withdrawals. The travel card provided by Wise.com, Revolut or Monose might be an excellent option to cut down on transaction fees.
Ookla® Speedtest The average fixed internet speed in Tunisia is 13.02 Mbps and mobile is 39.94 Mbs.The global average is 159.18 Mbps and 109.61 Mbps respectively.
ATM Density When compared to the world average, Tunisia has less ATMs.33.22 ATMs per 100,000 people.The global average is 39.69.
SIM Registration In order to purchase a SIM card in Tunisia, a passport or ID is required as identification.
There are 2 socket types used in Tunisia. Type C is a popular socket type throughout Europe (except the United Kingdom), Russia, and certain Asian countries.
The sockets’ shapes and voltage differ from country to country and a travel plug adapter may be required. Portable devices, such as phones, notebooks or tablets, usually handle the entire range of voltages used across the world (110-240V).
In the year 2023, Tunisia will celebrate 9 national public holidays. The next one Victory Day will take place on June 1.
|January 1, 2023||New Year’s DayNew Year’s Day|
|January 14, 2023||Revolution and Youth DayRevolution and Youth Day|
|March 20, 2023||Independence DayIndependence Day|
|April 9, 2023||Martyrs’ DayMartyrs’ Day|
|May 1, 2023||Labour DayLabour Day|
|June 1, 2023||Victory DayVictory Day|
|July 25, 2023||Republic DayRepublic Day|
|August 13, 2023||Women’s DayWomen’s Day|
|October 15, 2023||Eid El Jala’Eid El Jala’|
- EF English Proficiency Index (EF Education First)
- Speedtest Global Index® (Ookla®)
- Automated teller machines (ATMs) (per 100,000 adults) (The World Bank Group)
- Registration Policies Per Country (Prepaid Data SIM Card Wiki)
What hotel chains are present in Tunisia?
There are Mariott hotels in 2 cities: Sousse and Tunis.
There are no Hilton hotels in Tunisia.
There are no IHG hotels in Tunisia.
There are no Best Western hotels in Tunisia.
There are Radisson hotels in 3 cities.
The Accor hotel chain operates in Tunisia.
What fast food chains are present in Tunisia?
The McDonald’s chain operates in Tunisia.
The KFC chain does not operate in Tunisia.
The Burger King chain does not operate in Tunisia.
The Subway chain does not operate in Tunisia.
The Domino’s Pizza chain does not operate in Tunisia.
The Starbucks chain does not operate in Tunisia.
- Country by National Dish (Samson Daniel)
What is the weather like in Tunis?
Weather data for Tunis (capital city) by Open-Meteo.com
Railways There are passenger trains operating between some cities.
Subway Systems There is no subway system in any city.
- List of high-speed railway lines (Wikipedia)
- List of metro systems (Wikipedia)
- Left- and right-hand traffic (Wikipedia)
- The Global Enabling Trade Report 2016: Road connectivity (World Economic Forum)
Emergency phones in Tunisia
- Tunisia Travel Advisory (United States: Department of State)
- Travel Advice for Tunisia (United Kingdom: The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office)
- Mortality caused by road traffic injury (The World Bank Group)
- Corruption & Economic Crime (United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime)
Smoking & Alcohol
Smoking ban Smoking is prohibited in all public areas excluding entertainment and restaurants.
Cananbis legality Both recreational and medicinal use of cannabis is prohibited.
The products are only for your own use or consumption, or as a present for members of your household. They may not be imported for commercial purposes under any circumstances.
- 2L (under 25% alcohol content)
- 1L (above 25% alcohol content)
- 200 cigarettes
- 100 cigarillos
- 50 cigars
- 500 grams of rolling tobacco
- List of smoking bans (Wikipedia)
- Legality of cannabis (Wikipedia)