Algeria is a country located in Northern Africa. There are 7 countries (Libya, Mali, Mauritania, Morocco, Niger, Tunisia, Western Sahara) that Algeria shares its borders with. The official language of Algeria is Arabic. Traveling across Algeria if English is your first (and only) language may be difficult due to language barriers.
In the EF English Competency Index (EF EPI), which assesses the language proficiency of non-native speaking countries, Algeria was ranked 75th out of 100 countries in 2021.
The national currency in Algeria is Algerian dinar (DZD). The dinar (جد) is subdivided into 100 santeem.
With today’s currency rate, 1 EUR is worth 146.73 DZD and 1 USD is worth 136.74 DZD.
Check with your bank before your trip to find out if there are any fees for using your card abroad. Some banks do not charge fees when you use a foreign ATM or pay in foreign currency, but others may charge a fixed cost for each transaction or allow a limited number of free withdrawals. The travel card provided by Wise.com, Revolut or Monose might be an excellent option to cut down on transaction fees.
Ookla® Speedtest The average fixed internet speed in Algeria is 17.59 Mbps and mobile is 30.79 Mbs.The global average is 159.18 Mbps and 109.61 Mbps respectively.
ATM Density It may be difficult to locate an ATM in Algeria.9.30 ATMs per 100,000 people.The global average is 39.69.
SIM Registration In order to purchase a SIM card in Algeria, a passport or ID is required as identification.
There are 2 socket types used in Algeria. Type C is a popular socket type throughout Europe (except the United Kingdom), Russia, and certain Asian countries.
The sockets’ shapes and voltage differ from country to country and a travel plug adapter may be required. Portable devices, such as phones, notebooks or tablets, usually handle the entire range of voltages used across the world (110-240V).
- EF English Proficiency Index (EF Education First)
- Speedtest Global Index® (Ookla®)
- Automated teller machines (ATMs) (per 100,000 adults) (The World Bank Group)
- Registration Policies Per Country (Prepaid Data SIM Card Wiki)
What hotel chains are present in Algeria?
There are Mariott hotels in 2 cities: Algiers and Constantine.
The Hilton hotel chain operates in Algeria.
The IHG hotel chain operates in Algeria.
The Best Western hotel chain operates in Algeria.
There are no Radisson hotels in Algeria.
The Accor hotel chain operates in Algeria.
What fast food chains are present in Algeria?
The McDonald’s chain does not operate in Algeria.
The KFC chain does not operate in Algeria.
The Burger King chain does not operate in Algeria.
The Subway chain does not operate in Algeria.
The Domino’s Pizza chain does not operate in Algeria.
The Starbucks chain does not operate in Algeria.
- Country by National Dish (Samson Daniel)
What is the weather like in Algiers?
Weather data for Algiers (capital city) by Open-Meteo.com
Railways There are passenger trains operating between some cities.
Subway Systems The subway system is available in Algiers.
Taxi Apps Unfortunately neither Uber nor Bolt are available in Algeria.
- List of high-speed railway lines (Wikipedia)
- List of metro systems (Wikipedia)
- Left- and right-hand traffic (Wikipedia)
- The Global Enabling Trade Report 2016: Road connectivity (World Economic Forum)
Emergency phones in Algeria
- Algeria Travel Advisory (United States: Department of State)
- Travel Advice for Algeria (United Kingdom: The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office)
- Mortality caused by road traffic injury (The World Bank Group)
- Corruption & Economic Crime (United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime)
Smoking & Alcohol
Smoking ban Inconsistent or only partially enforced smoke-free laws
Cananbis legality Both recreational and medicinal use of cannabis is prohibited.
- List of smoking bans (Wikipedia)
- Legality of cannabis (Wikipedia)