Norway is a country located in Northern Europe. There are 3 countries (Finland, Russian Federation, Sweden) that Norway shares its borders with. As for languages, the country's residents speak Norwegian, Norwegian Bokmål and Norwegian Nynorsk. Although English isn't the official language, the majority of people in Norway are good English speakers.
EF EPI's 2021 rankings placed Norway 5th among 100 nations out of non-native English-speaking countries.
The national currency in Norway is Norwegian krone (NOK). The krone (kr) is subdivided into 100 øre.
With today's currency rate, 1 EUR is worth 10.39 NOK and 1 USD is worth 10.71 NOK.
Check with your bank before your trip to find out if there are any fees for using your card abroad. Some banks do not charge fees when you use a foreign ATM or pay in foreign currency, but others may charge a fixed cost for each transaction or allow a limited number of free withdrawals. The travel card provided by Wise.com, Revolut or Monose might be an excellent option to cut down on transaction fees.
Ookla® Speedtest The average fixed internet speed in Norway is 173.4 Mbps and mobile is 191.28 Mbs.The global average is 139.19 Mbps and 77.74 Mbps respectively.
ATM Density When compared to the world average, Norway has less ATMs.32.33 ATMs per 100,000 people.The global average is 41.24.
SIM Registration In order to purchase a SIM card in Norway, a passport or ID is required as identification.
There are 2 socket types used in Norway. Type C is a popular socket type throughout Europe (except the United Kingdom), Russia, and certain Asian countries.
The sockets' shapes and voltage differ from country to country and a travel plug adapter may be required. Portable devices, such as phones, notebooks or tablets, usually handle the entire range of voltages used across the world (110-240V).
In the year 2022, Norway will celebrate 12 national public holidays. The next one Christmas Day will take place on December 25.
|January 1, 2022||New Year's DayFørste nyttårsdag|
|April 14, 2022Moving holiday||Maundy ThursdaySkjærtorsdag|
|April 15, 2022Moving holiday||Good FridayLangfredag|
|April 17, 2022Moving holiday||Easter SundayFørste påskedag|
|April 18, 2022Moving holiday||Easter MondayAndre påskedag|
|May 1, 2022||Labour DayFørste mai|
|May 17, 2022||Constitution DaySyttende mai|
|May 26, 2022Moving holiday||Ascension DayKristi himmelfartsdag|
|June 5, 2022Moving holiday||PentecostFørste pinsedag|
|June 6, 2022Moving holiday||Whit MondayAndre pinsedag|
|December 25, 2022||Christmas DayFørste juledag|
|December 26, 2022||St. Stephen's DayAndre juledag|
Food & Hotels
What hotel chains are present in Norway?
There are no Mariott hotels in Norway.
There are no Hilton hotels in Norway.
The IHG hotel chain operates in Norway.
What fast food chains are present in Norway?
Fårikål are some of the most well-known delicacies to come out of Norway. If none of these foods appeal to you, check out the list of fast-food restaurants in Norway below.
The McDonald's chain operates in Norway.
The KFC chain does not operate in Norway.
The Burger King chain operates in Norway.
Weather data for Oslo (capital city) by Open-Meteo.com
Railways There are passenger trains, and some of them are high-speed trains.
Subway Systems The subway system is available in Oslo.
Emergency phones in Norway
Smoking & Alcohol
Smoking ban Smoking is forbidden in all public indoor locations, with limited exceptions.
Cananbis legality Recreational usage is prohibited, but medical use is legal.
- 1.5 litres of wine or beer/alcopops/cider can be exchanged for the spirits quota.
- Equal amounts of beer/alcopops/cider can be exchanged for the wine quota.
- Stronger beverages cannot be exchanged for wine, beer, alcopops, or cider.
- Tobacco quotas can be replaced with 1.5 litres of wine, beer, alcopops, or cider.
- Only the whole tobacco quota can be exchanged for booze.
- Alcohol and tobacco are not interchangeable.
- 1L of alcoholic beverages with an alcohol content by volume of over 22%
- 1.5L of alcoholic beverages with an alcohol content by volume of under 22%
- 2L of beer above 2.5%
- 200 cigarettes or 250 grams of other tobacco products (snuff, cigars and cigarillos are counted in grams)
What are visa requirements to enter Norway?
Currently, citizens of 92 countries can enter Norway without obtaining a visa. This figure includes nationals who can acquire a visa on arrival.
Use the list below to check visa requirements for your country to enter Norway.
- Algeria Visa required
- Angola Visa required
- Benin Visa required
- Botswana Visa required
- Burkina Faso Visa required
- Burundi Visa required
- Cabo Verde Visa required
- Cameroon Visa required
- Central African Republic Visa required
- Chad Visa required
- Comoros Visa required
- Democratic Republic of the Congo Visa required
- Djibouti Visa required
- Egypt Visa required
- Equatorial Guinea Visa required
- Eritrea Visa required
- Eswatini Visa required
- Ethiopia Visa required
- Gabon Visa required
- Gambia Visa required
- Ghana Visa required
- Guinea-Bissau Visa required
- Guinea Visa required
- Ivory Coast Visa required
- Kenya Visa required
- Lesotho Visa required
- Liberia Visa required
- Libya Visa required
- Madagascar Visa required
- Malawi Visa required
- Mali Visa required
- Mauritania Visa required
- Mauritius Visa free (90 days)
- Morocco Visa required
- Mozambique Visa required
- Namibia Visa required
- Niger Visa required
- Nigeria Visa required
- Republic of the Congo Visa required
- Rwanda Visa required
- Sao Tome and Principe Visa required
- Senegal Visa required
- Seychelles Visa free (90 days)
- Sierra Leone Visa required
- Somalia Visa required
- South Africa Visa required
- South Sudan Visa required
- Sudan Visa required
- Tanzania Visa required
- Togo Visa required
- Tunisia Visa required
- Uganda Visa required
- Zambia Visa required
- Zimbabwe Visa required
- Afghanistan Visa required
- Armenia Visa required
- Azerbaijan Visa required
- Bahrain Visa required
- Bangladesh Visa required
- Bhutan Visa required
- Brunei Darussalam Visa free (90 days)
- Cambodia Visa required
- China Visa required
- Georgia Visa free (90 days)
- Hong Kong Visa free (90 days)
- India Visa required
- Indonesia Visa required
- Iran Visa required
- Iraq Visa required
- Israel Visa free (90 days)
- Japan Visa free (90 days)
- Jordan Visa required
- Kazakhstan Visa required
- Kuwait Visa required
- Kyrgyzstan Visa required
- Laos Visa required
- Lebanon Visa required
- Macao Visa free (90 days)
- Malaysia Visa free (90 days)
- Maldives Visa required
- Mongolia Visa required
- Myanmar Visa required
- Nepal Visa required
- North Korea Visa required
- Oman Visa required
- Pakistan Visa required
- Philippines Visa required
- Qatar Visa required
- Saudi Arabia Visa required
- Singapore Visa free (90 days)
- South Korea Visa free (90 days)
- Sri Lanka Visa required
- State of Palestine Visa required
- Syria Visa required
- Taiwan Visa free (90 days)
- Tajikistan Visa required
- Thailand Visa required
- Timor-Leste Visa free (90 days)
- Turkey Visa required
- Turkmenistan Visa required
- United Arab Emirates Visa free (90 days)
- Uzbekistan Visa required
- Viet Nam Visa required
- Yemen Visa required
- Antigua and Barbuda Visa free (90 days)
- Bahamas Visa free (90 days)
- Barbados Visa free (90 days)
- Cuba Visa required
- Dominica Visa free (90 days)
- Dominican Republic Visa required
- Grenada Visa free (90 days)
- Haiti Visa required
- Jamaica Visa required
- Saint Kitts and Nevis Visa free (90 days)
- Saint Lucia Visa free (90 days)
- Saint Vincent and the Grenadines Visa free (90 days)
- Trinidad and Tobago Visa free (90 days)
- Belize Visa required
- Costa Rica Visa free (90 days)
- El Salvador Visa free (90 days)
- Guatemala Visa free (90 days)
- Honduras Visa free (90 days)
- Nicaragua Visa free (90 days)
- Panama Visa free (90 days)
- Albania Visa free (90 days)
- Andorra Visa free (90 days)
- Austria Visa free
- Belarus Visa required
- Belgium Visa free
- Bosnia and Herzegovina Visa free (90 days)
- Bulgaria Visa free
- Croatia Visa free
- Cyprus Visa free
- Czech Republic Visa free
- Denmark Visa free
- Estonia Visa free
- Finland Visa free
- France Visa free
- Germany Visa free
- Greece Visa free
- Hungary Visa free
- Iceland Visa free
- Ireland Visa free
- Italy Visa free
- Latvia Visa free
- Liechtenstein Visa free
- Lithuania Visa free
- Luxembourg Visa free
- Malta Visa free
- Moldova Visa free (90 days)
- Monaco Visa free (90 days)
- Montenegro Visa free (90 days)
- Netherlands Visa free
- North Macedonia Visa free (90 days)
- Poland Visa free
- Portugal Visa free
- Romania Visa free
- Russian Federation Visa required
- San Marino Visa free (90 days)
- Serbia Visa free (90 days)
- Slovakia Visa free
- Slovenia Visa free
- Spain Visa free
- Sweden Visa free
- Switzerland Visa free
- Ukraine Visa free (90 days)
- United Kingdom Visa free (90 days)
- Canada Visa free (90 days)
- Mexico Visa free (90 days)
- United States of America Visa free (90 days)
- Australia Visa free (90 days)
- Fiji Visa required
- Kiribati Visa free (90 days)
- Marshall Islands Visa free (90 days)
- Micronesia Visa free (90 days)
- Nauru Visa required
- New Zealand Visa free (90 days)
- Palau Visa free (90 days)
- Papua New Guinea Visa required
- Samoa Visa free (90 days)
- Solomon Islands Visa free (90 days)
- Tonga Visa free (90 days)
- Tuvalu Visa free (90 days)
- Vanuatu Visa required
- Argentina Visa free (90 days)
- Bolivia Visa required
- Brazil Visa free (90 days)
- Chile Visa free (90 days)
- Colombia Visa free (90 days)
- Ecuador Visa required
- Guyana Visa required
- Paraguay Visa free (90 days)
- Peru Visa free (90 days)
- Suriname Visa required
- Uruguay Visa free (90 days)
- Venezuela Visa free (90 days)