Croatia is a member state of the European Union located in Southern Europe. There are 5 countries (Bosnia and Herzegovina, Hungary, Montenegro, Serbia, Slovenia) that Croatia shares its borders with. The official language of Croatia is Croatian. Although English isn’t the official language, the majority of people in Croatia are good English speakers.
EF EPI’s 2021 rankings placed Croatia 10th among 100 nations out of non-native English-speaking countries.
The national currency in Croatia is Croatian kuna (HRK). The kuna (kn) is subdivided into 100 lipa (lp).
With today’s currency rate, 1 EUR is worth 7.56 HRK and 1 USD is worth 7.02 HRK.
Check with your bank before your trip to find out if there are any fees for using your card abroad. Some banks do not charge fees when you use a foreign ATM or pay in foreign currency, but others may charge a fixed cost for each transaction or allow a limited number of free withdrawals. The travel card provided by Wise.com, Revolut or Monose might be an excellent option to cut down on transaction fees.
Ookla® Speedtest The average fixed internet speed in Croatia is 116.42 Mbps and mobile is 145.68 Mbs.The global average is 155.63 Mbps and 106.10 Mbps respectively.
ATM Density Croatia has more ATMs than most other countries.140.70 ATMs per 100,000 people.The global average is 39.69.
SIM Registration You can buy a SIM card in Croatia without having to register it with your ID or passport.
There are 2 socket types used in Croatia. Type C is a popular socket type throughout Europe (except the United Kingdom), Russia, and certain Asian countries.
The sockets’ shapes and voltage differ from country to country and a travel plug adapter may be required. Portable devices, such as phones, notebooks or tablets, usually handle the entire range of voltages used across the world (110-240V).
In the year 2023, Croatia will celebrate 14 national public holidays. The next one Easter Sunday will take place on April 9.
|January 1, 2023||New Year’s DayNova Godina|
|January 6, 2023||EpiphanyBogojavljenje, Sveta tri kralja|
|April 9, 2023Moving holiday||Easter SundayUskrs i uskrsni ponedjeljak|
|April 10, 2023Moving holiday||Easter MondayUskrs i uskrsni ponedjeljak|
|May 1, 2023||International Workers’ DayMeđunarodni praznik rada|
|May 30, 2023||National DayDan državnosti|
|June 8, 2023Moving holiday||Corpus ChristiTijelovo|
|June 22, 2023||Anti-Fascist Struggle DayDan antifašističke borbe|
|August 5, 2023||Victory and Homeland Thanksgiving Day and the Day of Croatian defendersDan pobjede i domovinske zahvalnosti i Dan hrvatskih branitelja|
|August 15, 2023||Assumption DayVelika Gospa|
|November 1, 2023||All Saints’ DayDan svih svetih|
|November 18, 2023||Remembrance DayDan sjećanja na žrtve Domovinskog rata|
|December 25, 2023||Christmas DayBožić|
|December 26, 2023||St.Stephen’s DayPrvi dan po Božiću, Sveti Stjepan, Štefanje, Stipanje|
- EF English Proficiency Index (EF Education First)
- Speedtest Global Index® (Ookla®)
- Automated teller machines (ATMs) (per 100,000 adults) (The World Bank Group)
- Registration Policies Per Country (Prepaid Data SIM Card Wiki)
What hotel chains are present in Croatia?
There are no Mariott hotels in Croatia.
The Hilton hotel chain operates in Croatia.
The IHG hotel chain operates in Croatia.
The Best Western hotel chain operates in Croatia.
There are Radisson hotels in 3 cities.
The Accor hotel chain operates in Croatia.
What fast food chains are present in Croatia?
The McDonald’s chain operates in Croatia.
The KFC chain operates in Croatia.
The Burger King chain does not operate in Croatia.
The Subway chain does not operate in Croatia.
The Domino’s Pizza chain does not operate in Croatia.
The Starbucks chain does not operate in Croatia.
- Country by National Dish (Samson Daniel)
What is the weather like in Zagreb?
Weather data for Zagreb (capital city) by Open-Meteo.com
Railways There are passenger trains operating between some cities.
Subway Systems There is no subway system in any city.
- List of high-speed railway lines (Wikipedia)
- List of metro systems (Wikipedia)
- Left- and right-hand traffic (Wikipedia)
- The Global Enabling Trade Report 2016: Road connectivity (World Economic Forum)
Emergency phones in Croatia
- Croatia Travel Advisory (United States: Department of State)
- Travel Advice for Croatia (United Kingdom: The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office)
- Mortality caused by road traffic injury (The World Bank Group)
- Corruption & Economic Crime (United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime)
Smoking & Alcohol
Smoking ban Smoking is prohibited in all public areas excluding entertainment and restaurants.
Cananbis legality Recreational usage is decriminalized, and medical use is legal.
The products are only for your own use or consumption, or as a present for members of your household. They may not be imported for commercial purposes under any circumstances.
- 4L of wine
- 16L of beer
- 1L of spirits over 22% volume or 2L of alcoholic beverages less than 22% volume
Your tobacco allowance is determined on your form of transportation.
If you are travelling by air:
- 200 cigarettes or 100 cigarillos or 50 cigars or 250g of tobacco
If you are NOT travelling by air:
- 40 cigarettes or 20 cigarillos or 10 cigars or 50g of tobacco
- Ministry of Finance, Customs Administration
- List of smoking bans (Wikipedia)
- Legality of cannabis (Wikipedia)