Yemen is a country located in Western Asia. There are 2 countries (Oman, Saudi Arabia) that Yemen shares its borders with. The official language of Yemen is Arabic. Traveling across Yemen if English is your first (and only) language may be difficult due to language barriers.
In the EF English Competency Index (EF EPI), which assesses the language proficiency of non-native speaking countries, Yemen was ranked 112th out of 100 countries in 2021.
The national currency in Yemen is Yemeni rial (YER). The rial is subdivided into 100 fils.
With today’s currency rate, 1 EUR is worth 268.58 YER and 1 USD is worth 250.29 YER.
Check with your bank before your trip to find out if there are any fees for using your card abroad. Some banks do not charge fees when you use a foreign ATM or pay in foreign currency, but others may charge a fixed cost for each transaction or allow a limited number of free withdrawals. The travel card provided by Wise.com, Revolut or Monose might be an excellent option to cut down on transaction fees.
Ookla® Speedtest The average fixed internet speed in Yemen is 10.91 Mbps and mobile is 9.23 Mbs.The global average is 159.18 Mbps and 109.61 Mbps respectively.
ATM Density It may be difficult to locate an ATM in Yemen.6.39 ATMs per 100,000 people.The global average is 39.69.
SIM Registration No data available.
There are 3 socket types used in Yemen. Type A & Type B are widespread in North America (incl. the U.S.), Central America, Japan, and the Philippines. Type D is not very common around the world, so it might be a good idea to check if your electronics need an adapter.
The sockets’ shapes and voltage differ from country to country and a travel plug adapter may be required. Portable devices, such as phones, notebooks or tablets, usually handle the entire range of voltages used across the world (110-240V).
- EF English Proficiency Index (EF Education First)
- Speedtest Global Index® (Ookla®)
- Automated teller machines (ATMs) (per 100,000 adults) (The World Bank Group)
- Registration Policies Per Country (Prepaid Data SIM Card Wiki)
What hotel chains are present in Yemen?
There are no Mariott hotels in Yemen.
There are no Hilton hotels in Yemen.
There are no IHG hotels in Yemen.
There are no Best Western hotels in Yemen.
There are no Radisson hotels in Yemen.
There are no Accor hotels in Yemen.
What fast food chains are present in Yemen?
The McDonald’s chain does not operate in Yemen.
The KFC chain does not operate in Yemen.
The Burger King chain does not operate in Yemen.
The Subway chain does not operate in Yemen.
The Domino’s Pizza chain does not operate in Yemen.
The Starbucks chain does not operate in Yemen.
- Country by National Dish (Samson Daniel)
What is the weather like in Sana’a?
Weather data for Sana’a (capital city) by Open-Meteo.com
Railways There are no passenger trains available.
Subway Systems There is no subway system in any city.
Taxi Apps Unfortunately neither Uber nor Bolt are available in Yemen.
- List of high-speed railway lines (Wikipedia)
- List of metro systems (Wikipedia)
- Left- and right-hand traffic (Wikipedia)
- The Global Enabling Trade Report 2016: Road connectivity (World Economic Forum)
Emergency phones in Yemen
- Yemen Travel Advisory (United States: Department of State)
- Travel Advice for Yemen (United Kingdom: The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office)
- Mortality caused by road traffic injury (The World Bank Group)
- Corruption & Economic Crime (United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime)
Smoking & Alcohol
Smoking ban No known rules against smoking, or no information is available.
Cananbis legality Both recreational and medicinal use of cannabis is prohibited.
- List of smoking bans (Wikipedia)
- Legality of cannabis (Wikipedia)