Sierra Leone is a country located in Western Africa. There are 2 countries (Guinea, Liberia) that Sierra Leone shares its borders with.
English is an official language in Sierra Leone. It means that if you speak it, you would be able to communicate with almost everyone. If not, it is highly recommended that you acquire some basic English before traveling to Sierra Leone.
The national currency in Sierra Leone is Sierra Leonean leone (SLL). The leone (Le) is subdivided into 100 cent (c).
With today’s currency rate, 1 EUR is worth 21193.49 SLL and 1 USD is worth 19750 SLL.
Check with your bank before your trip to find out if there are any fees for using your card abroad. Some banks do not charge fees when you use a foreign ATM or pay in foreign currency, but others may charge a fixed cost for each transaction or allow a limited number of free withdrawals. The travel card provided by Wise.com, Revolut or Monose might be an excellent option to cut down on transaction fees.
Ookla® Speedtest The average fixed internet speed in Sierra Leone is 25.6 Mbps and mobile is Mbs.The global average is 159.18 Mbps and 109.61 Mbps respectively.
ATM Density It may be difficult to locate an ATM in Sierra Leone.0.36 ATMs per 100,000 people.The global average is 39.69.
SIM Registration In order to purchase a SIM card in Sierra Leone, a passport or ID is required as identification.
There are 2 socket types used in Sierra Leone. Type D is not very common around the world, so it might be a good idea to check if your electronics need an adapter.
The sockets’ shapes and voltage differ from country to country and a travel plug adapter may be required. Portable devices, such as phones, notebooks or tablets, usually handle the entire range of voltages used across the world (110-240V).
- EF English Proficiency Index (EF Education First)
- Speedtest Global Index® (Ookla®)
- Automated teller machines (ATMs) (per 100,000 adults) (The World Bank Group)
- Registration Policies Per Country (Prepaid Data SIM Card Wiki)
What hotel chains are present in Sierra Leone?
There are no Mariott hotels in Sierra Leone.
There are no Hilton hotels in Sierra Leone.
There are no IHG hotels in Sierra Leone.
There are no Best Western hotels in Sierra Leone.
There are Radisson hotels in Freetown.
There are no Accor hotels in Sierra Leone.
What fast food chains are present in Sierra Leone?
The McDonald’s chain does not operate in Sierra Leone.
The KFC chain does not operate in Sierra Leone.
The Burger King chain does not operate in Sierra Leone.
The Subway chain does not operate in Sierra Leone.
The Domino’s Pizza chain does not operate in Sierra Leone.
The Starbucks chain does not operate in Sierra Leone.
- Country by National Dish (Samson Daniel)
What is the weather like in Freetown?
Weather data for Freetown (capital city) by Open-Meteo.com
Railways There are no passenger trains available.
Subway Systems There is no subway system in any city.
Taxi Apps Unfortunately neither Uber nor Bolt are available in Sierra Leone.
- List of high-speed railway lines (Wikipedia)
- List of metro systems (Wikipedia)
- Left- and right-hand traffic (Wikipedia)
- The Global Enabling Trade Report 2016: Road connectivity (World Economic Forum)
Emergency phones in Sierra Leone
- Sierra Leone Travel Advisory (United States: Department of State)
- Travel Advice for Sierra Leone (United Kingdom: The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office)
- Mortality caused by road traffic injury (The World Bank Group)
- Corruption & Economic Crime (United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime)
Smoking & Alcohol
Smoking ban No known rules against smoking, or no information is available.
Cananbis legality Both recreational and medicinal use of cannabis is prohibited.
- List of smoking bans (Wikipedia)
- Legality of cannabis (Wikipedia)