Senegal is a country located in Western Africa. There are 5 countries (Gambia, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Mali, Mauritania) that Senegal shares its borders with. The official language of Senegal is French.
The national currency in Senegal is West African CFA franc (XOF). The franc is subdivided into 100 centime.
With today’s currency rate, 1 EUR is worth 655.68 XOF and 1 USD is worth 611.02 XOF.
Check with your bank before your trip to find out if there are any fees for using your card abroad. Some banks do not charge fees when you use a foreign ATM or pay in foreign currency, but others may charge a fixed cost for each transaction or allow a limited number of free withdrawals. The travel card provided by Wise.com, Revolut or Monose might be an excellent option to cut down on transaction fees.
Ookla® Speedtest The average fixed internet speed in Senegal is 39.41 Mbps and mobile is 33.29 Mbs.The global average is 159.18 Mbps and 109.61 Mbps respectively.
ATM Density It may be difficult to locate an ATM in Senegal.6.83 ATMs per 100,000 people.The global average is 39.69.
SIM Registration In order to purchase a SIM card in Senegal, a passport or ID is required as identification.
There are 4 socket types used in Senegal. Type C is a popular socket type throughout Europe (except the United Kingdom), Russia, and certain Asian countries. Type D is not very common around the world, so it might be a good idea to check if your electronics need an adapter.
The sockets’ shapes and voltage differ from country to country and a travel plug adapter may be required. Portable devices, such as phones, notebooks or tablets, usually handle the entire range of voltages used across the world (110-240V).
- EF English Proficiency Index (EF Education First)
- Speedtest Global Index® (Ookla®)
- Automated teller machines (ATMs) (per 100,000 adults) (The World Bank Group)
- Registration Policies Per Country (Prepaid Data SIM Card Wiki)
What hotel chains are present in Senegal?
There are no Mariott hotels in Senegal.
There are no Hilton hotels in Senegal.
There are no IHG hotels in Senegal.
There are no Best Western hotels in Senegal.
There are Radisson hotels in Dakar.
The Accor hotel chain operates in Senegal.
What fast food chains are present in Senegal?
The McDonald’s chain does not operate in Senegal.
The KFC chain operates in Senegal.
The Burger King chain does not operate in Senegal.
The Subway chain does not operate in Senegal.
The Domino’s Pizza chain does not operate in Senegal.
The Starbucks chain does not operate in Senegal.
- Country by National Dish (Samson Daniel)
What is the weather like in Dakar?
Weather data for Dakar (capital city) by Open-Meteo.com
Railways There are passenger trains operating between some cities.
Subway Systems There is no subway system in any city.
Taxi Apps Unfortunately neither Uber nor Bolt are available in Senegal.
- List of high-speed railway lines (Wikipedia)
- List of metro systems (Wikipedia)
- Left- and right-hand traffic (Wikipedia)
- The Global Enabling Trade Report 2016: Road connectivity (World Economic Forum)
Emergency phones in Senegal
- Senegal Travel Advisory (United States: Department of State)
- Travel Advice for Senegal (United Kingdom: The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office)
- Mortality caused by road traffic injury (The World Bank Group)
- Corruption & Economic Crime (United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime)
Smoking & Alcohol
Smoking ban Smoking is forbidden in all public indoor locations, with limited exceptions.
Cananbis legality Both recreational and medicinal use of cannabis is prohibited.
- List of smoking bans (Wikipedia)
- Legality of cannabis (Wikipedia)